Thursday 17 April 2014

The NXT Invasion


So it finally happened, Paige finally debuted. I've been saying for months that the Divas division needed reshaping and now it finally looks like it is happening. Of course, I can't say that the division is getting stronger already, just two weeks after she debuted, but if we're to look at this week's Raw I think that it's a pretty strong indication of where the division is intended to go. How, you ask? Not one single "Total Diva"...that's how.

Total Divas has been constantly spewing it's garbage all over WWE in recent months, with tails of wetting one's self in the middle of the ring, and travelling with a dildo collection in one's carry on luggage. What was once billed as "reality TV" has now descended into the same awful rubbish that we see in "Keeping Up with the Kardashian's" and "Jersey Shore". What's more disturbing is that WWE (a wrestling company above all else) used this trashy show as a vehicle to get the most unwanted, and untalented female performers as over they could. Fortunately for us it didn't work as planned, and the crowds still cheered for AJ Lee, the supposed pantomime villain. But cheering for AJ Lee comes with a price; you're always going to be disappointed.

AJ was once the most over Diva in the entire organisation (maybe still is), but WWE did it's best to vomit all over her momentum with the horse dung of a show "Total Divas", having AJ mock the show (much to fans amusement) but then having the so-called 'good girls' overcome AJ and beat her 1-2-3 pretty much every week. AJ was destined to drop the title to one of them right? Wrong. The night after WrestleMania XXX a new Diva debuted. Paige. Now, probably, the new most over Diva in the company. 

Paige, of Norwich, England, if you haven't heard about her (why?), is one of the finest female performers to step between the WWE ropes, she could probably out-wrestle 90% of the male locker room too. She's the NXT Women's Champion, and the most popular star down in WWE's Orlando-based developmental system. For months now (years, maybe) fans have been clamouring for Paige to debut, to shut up AJ Lee, to stick a boot down the Bella's throats, to tie Natalya up like a shoelace (not in a dirty way), but it seemed that WWE weren't sold on her. She was stuck down in NXT for years, putting on some of the most entertaining matches the women's division had seen in a long time. But thankfully, after all the waiting and the wondering, WWE finally gave her her chance...and the Divas title (I know, right?!).

On the same night we saw the debut of Alexander Rusev, a wrestler who I'm not impressed by at all, he has minimal ring ability, can barely speak English, and is really only getting a chance because of Vince McMahon's fetish for big dudes. We also saw promos for Aldous Snow...I mean Adam Rose, and Bo Dallas. I'm honestly more excited for Rose and Bo than I am for Rusev, but I know Rusev is going to get the monster push, because he's a big guy and WWE love a big guy. As for Rose, I like the guy, he's a good worker and the gimmick seems to be taking off, however I much prefer the Kraven the Hunter-type thing he was doing as Leo Kruger, it just seemed a better look for a South African brawler than a prancy-Fandango-esque gimmick likened to Russell Brand. 

Now, Bo Dallas though...what to say. I honestly can't see him catching on again, especially with this whole "BOlieve" thing he's got going, but what can you do with Bo Dallas? He's actually really entertaining in NXT (albeit a little bit annoying) but he's really solid, however, I just don't see him taking off on the main roster the WWE probably does. At best, he's probably got a decent Intercontinental Championship run in him before he fizzles out and lets his contract run down. 

Recently we've also seen the debut of Emma, who I think has a really decent future ahead for her, and Xavier Woods, who I don't think has a future at all. I'm much more concerned about Adrian Neville, Corey Graves, Sami Zayn and Charlotte, I really see those four going far, Neville is one of the most exciting workers in recent years who doesn't injure himself in every match (yes, I'm talking about Rey Mysterio and Sin Cara), Graves looks like he has a bit of Jake the Snake about him, soft speaking promos but very dangerous in the ring, Sami Zayn simply because he's awesome and had the best match I've seen in years with Cesaro on NXT, and Charlotte who'll simply get a push because she's Flair's daughter, but can actually wrestle better than most of the current Divas division, minus Paige and AJ. 

It seems that NXT has really taken off since it started on the Network, it seems the match quality isn't what it used to be, and the talent that have jumped over to the main roster have left a bit of a hole, but I'm sure it'll pick up again soon. All they need to do is get rid of Mojo Rawley and I'll be happy, the guy's a dillweed.

I have to go but if you're lucky I'll be back soon, I have a lot to write about a certain straight edge rascal, if you have time you can check out a page I admin on Facebook here, the title doesn't really relate to what I post, I post interesting things, go check it out!

Anyway, stay awesome!
Watch NXT!

No comments:

Post a Comment